Stephen M. Kalter
4619 N. Lawndale Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
Talented Illustrator who possesses excellent artistic, design and project management skills. Unique ability to work closely with clients and successfully understand and convert their concepts into practical graphic applications. Also consistently adds value in the engineering and mechanical areas of product development.
- Kalterhaus Design Inc., Chicago, IL 2004-Present
- A self-owned design studio specializing in technical illustration, package design, video graphics and image retouching.
- USG Corporation, Chicago, IL 1988-2004
A $3.5 billion global manufacturer of building materials for the construction and remodeling industries.
Responsible for developing illustrations for all company product lines, which included the USG product itself and its use in conjunction with other non USG products. Also created logos and signage to complement product literature.
Database Asset Manager
Reported to Art Director and was responsible for developing illustrations for all company product lines. Also managed “image assets”, which entailed converting and maintaining all individual illustrations and photography to a visual searchable database. Supervised one technician and all freelance illustrators.
- Initially set up the image assets function, which included investigating and purchasing the software and then refining it to meet USG’s parameters.
- Trained designers and audio visual personnel on the use of the system.
- Introduced the digital image retouching technique to the marketing function, which eliminated photo reshoots and lowered costs $200,000 per year.
- Represented USG in a successful joint graphic advertising campaign with Lencore, which manufactured sound suppression systems.
- Worked closely on a special project with Home Depot where key digital imagery information was transferred and specially formatted for their use.
- Developed an illustration photography CD as a training tool for salespeople.
- Illinois Range Company, Mt. Prospect, IL 1986-1988, 1981-1984 Summers
Manufacturer of commercial stainless steel kitchen equipment. Major account was McDonald’s.
Designed stainless steel kitchen equipment. Included initially working from the product development stage with the sales department and then carrying the project through to final production. Also devised restaurant layouts for new kitchen equipment installation and worked closely with owners and installers.
- The Grieve Corporation, Round Lake, IL 1986
Manufacturer of industrial ovens.
Used CAD to draw and revise industrial ovens. Worked closely with engineers on innovations and solutions for industrial oven design.
- Daily Egyptian Newspaper, Carbondale, IL 1984-1985
- Ad/News Layout and Production Artist
BA Graphic Design, Southern Illinois University, 1985
AAS Architecture, Southern Illinois University, 1981
Courses in Multimedia, Columbia College, Chicago, IL, 1994-1997
Courses in MBA program, Loyola University, 1991
Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Canto Cumulus and other various graphic applications.